Sunday, November 8, 2015

Coffeeneuring Ride 5-Saturday October 31, 2015

Down the 98--ride 5  

I've always wanted to check out this SAIL INN sandwich shop down the highway from our house, and, since we weren't really in the mood for a LONG ride of 20+ miles, we decided on a slightly shorter route.  After all, it was Halloween and I needed an outfit for the party I was about to attend that night. There is a flea market about 6 miles down the 98.  The highway that has been under repaving for the past year and a half.  The highway that is adding a beautiful 8 foot bike lane on both sides, with keyhole lanes and everything being done on the Santa Rosa bike / ped plan using money from the BP oil spill.  Money well spent.  In the past 3-4 years, the road has been made safer by installing LED light posts throughout the county on the highway 98 one about every tenth of a mile--all the way to the county line using mostly existing infrastructure.  There have been a lot of deaths from people just attempting to cross the road, but the casualties have been to both cyclists and pedestrians. I find it sad that this is what it takes to get things done, but glad that it's getting done just the same. I'm pretty sure this project is close to completion, as they're supposed to be done by January 2016 (ish).  

New blacktop is going to be HOT, but is also going to be very nice to ride on--even if only for a little while.  I can remember feeling the heat emanating off the road just sitting in my car at stoplights, so it's gotta be hot on the cyclists, especially during the summer.  BUT, it's SMOOOOOOOTH!

Today's ride took me, Jen and Avery down a beautiful road along the sound to get there--Soundside Dr.  These million dollar homes sitting atop wooded lots, with beautiful views of Santa Rosa sound in the background.  This is probably one of my favorite areas to ride.  Little traffic, beautiful views, and somewhat smooth pavement--no bike lane but on the opposite side of the road we're riding, but at least there is room for cars to pass.  This road took us to the local flea market, in a beautiful back country kind of way. I don't think my fifteen year old daughter was in the mood to ride today by the amount of 'how much further' and 'are we there yet' references. She probably should have had a little more fuel to eat before the ride--her attitude changed after we ate. 

My goal at the flea market was to find an old gas mask from WWII or an older war--I was going to wear it to the party with a fedora, totally covered up--needed to figure in a straw in the mask to drink my beer though, ha.  Finally after finding one, I asked the dude how much.  $100.  Seriously?  "yeah, they still work".  Um. OK.  Guess I'm not dressing up tonight for the party, but at least I have 365 more days to plan for next year. We didn't spend but about 5 minutes at the flea market. 


After that debacle, it was about a two mile ride to Sail Inn.  Jen and Avery had tea, and I opted for yet another Pumpkin Spice Cappuccino.  Since we were famished, Jen and I also ate a recommended Cuban sandwich and my daughter wolfed down a turkey sub.  All the food and coffee was EXCELLENT.  We'll definitely be back, Sail Inn.  Hard to believe one can live in a place so long and never hit a great spot to eat.  That place has been there at least 15 years.  
We get a lot of questions and thumbs up while we ride the Burley Tandem.  Kids love it, and folks like to ask a few questions on it but all in all, we really, really like it.  She's a beautiful machine, and once I get the handlebar stem and extender, my shoulders will like it better too. 

After telling Joe and Amber about it, they went there the next day and gave it great reviews too.  













The ride back was straight blacktop on 'bloody 98', and due to lots of construction there were multiple loose asphalt pebbles everywhere.  I'll be so glad when this is complete.  Gonna be a great ride when done.  

So, Rob and Jen have completed their fifth ride, Joe and Amber their fifth ride and Avery her fourth ride.



No comments:

Post a Comment